Skip to main content

Writing Prompt Wednesday Number 15

Writing Prompt Action

The old sorcerer lit his pipe and eased back in his chair. The gang drew their weapons and he sent them spiralling with a lazy wave of his hand.

Writing Prompt Character

At night, she hunted the creatures. During the day, she was America's sweetheart.

Writing Prompt Dialogue

"But you getting arrested was part of the plan." "You were supposed to bail me out. That was part of the plan."

Writing Prompt Object


The drawer revealed all things lost.

Writing Prompt Setting

The woods were bleak and monochrome, until nightfall.

Subscribe for more weekly writing prompts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Story - My Ticket

My Ticket A lost man with an old ticket stub tries to find his way home. “Excuse me,” he said, ancient face sad and lost. “I have my ticket.” He held out a piece of worn, yellow cardboard, cut inward in curves at the corners. For the sake of pleasantries, I took the ticket and examined it. Barely glancing at the text printed in faded red, I said, “Sir, this ticket is invalid.  Modern  day tickets are stored on a refillable card.” I handed the stub back to him, which had to be a few decades old, at least. I didn’t know what he was doing with a ticket as old as that, and what he thought he could do with it. “Oh,” said the man. He lowered the ticket but didn’t leave. I picked up the guide book I’d been reading but studied it more intently to make it look as if it were part of my work. “But it  is  valid…” “Sir, all our current tickets are digital. I’m sorry.” I blocked him out with my book once again, a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach...

Writing Prompt Wednesday Number 7

Another 5 writing prompts! Writing Prompt: Character Writing Prompt: Object Writing Prompt: Setting Writing Prompt: Dialogue Writing Prompt: Action Subscribe for weekly writing prompts!

How to Write Villains

Contains some spoilers for The Grisha Trilogy Part 1 – Introduction What is a villain? A villain is the bad guy, sometimes known as the antagonist. They challenge the protagonist and create conflict in the story. No conflict, no story. The villain’s actions or goal can create the motivation for the hero, as well as create the necessary obstacles every hero should face in order to make a compelling story. Villains can take many different forms. They can create life or death scenarios or simply pose a threat to what the heroes truly want and/or need. A story can have multiple antagonists posing multiple challenges. To avoid creating an evil villain that embodies all the necessary qualities but none of the dimensions that make them seem like an actual person, they require (like our heroes) motive, backstory and personality.             Villain vs Antagonist While discussing the many different types of villain...